China Institute advances a deeper understanding of China through programs in education, culture, business and art in the belief that cross-cultural understanding strengthens our global community.
China Institute was founded in 1926 by a group of distinguished American and Chinese educators including John Dewey, Hu Shih, Paul Monroe and Dr. Kuo Ping-wen. It is the oldest bicultural organization in America devoted exclusively to China.
Chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York in 1944 as a school of continuing education, our school of Chinese studies is the oldest educational center of its kind in the United States.
Noted politicians and academics mingle with Chinese students from across the U.S. at China Institute’s formal opening on December 1, 1944, at its current location on 65th Street. FRONT ROW: left to right: Dr. P.W. Kuo, Lillian Dong, Mme. Wei Tao-ming, Dr. Hu Shih, Mrs. Henry Winters Luce, Ambassador Wei Tao-Ming, Catherine Lee, Mrs. Chih Meng, Yeh Li-fah, BACK ROW: Chih Meng, Henry R. Luce, Hanson Huang, James Ling, Edwin Kwoh, Julia Liu, J.Y. Yen, Shelly Mark, Eddie Toy, Max Zung