Mandarin for Future Mandarin Teachers
July 6th – August 16th, 2014
Mandarin for Future Mandarin Teachers (MFMT) was established in 2006 through Confucius Institute at China Institute (CI@CI), a partnership between China Institute and East China Normal University (ECNU). This summer program provides scholarships for a select group of pre-service and in-service Chinese language teachers to take professional development courses taught by distinguished ECNU professors who are leading scholars in their respective fields. Participants can earn graduate credits needed to obtain a teaching certification from the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
The MFMT program offers:
FREE Tuition and Accommodation**
Program Length: 6 weeks
Early-bird Registration***: by February 28th, 2014
For more information or to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-744-8181, ext. 130.
*The 4 courses are Chinese Phonology, Chinese Characters: Their Structure and Evolution, Chinese Grammar, and Classical Chinese Literature.
***$30 registration fee is waived for early-bird applicants.
East China Normal University (ECNU) campus
2006 MFMT participants
2010 MFMT participants with Professor Gu Weilie (Photo Credit: Edward Lian)
Please click to download the application form.
• Speak Mandarin Chinese at native or near native levels
• Be currently teaching Chinese at an accredited U.S. public or private school
• Or be enrolled in a program leading to the career of Chinese language teacher
• Or seek a career in teaching Chinese in American schools
• Hold bachelor degree
Admissions are given on a rolling basis. Early application is recommended.
• All participants are required to secure, and bear the costs of their own air travel and other transportation between US point of departure and ECNU in Shanghai.
• All participants are required to assume full responsibility for the costs of obtaining a valid passport with a valid entry visa to China, any necessary immunizations, and travel insurance effective throughout the program.
• In the event that a participant decides to withdraw from the program after acceptance and payment of the program fee, that fee is nonrefundable, unless the participant submits a signed statement from a physician indicating that the withdrawal is necessary for medical reasons.
• In the case of a medically-based withdrawal, CI@CI reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to decide whether a make-up session will be permitted; however, in that circumstance, scholarship will not be available, and any make-up session must be fully funded by the participant.
• CI@CI reserves the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment or other factors beyond its control. If CI@CI must cancel the program prior to the start date, all program fees will be refunded, except for a $30 registration fee.
• In the event that CI@CI must cancel the program after the start date, a portion of dormitory upgrade or extension fees may be refundable, depending on the cancellation date, subject to Confucius Institute at China Institute’s ability to recoup funds from the providing institution.