Manager, Business Programs
Location: New York City
Reports to: Director of Programs
China Institute Business Programs:
China Institute advances a deeper understanding of China through programs in education, culture, art, and business. China Institute is the go-to resource on China—from ancient art to today’s business landscape and its rapidly shifting culture. Founded in 1926 by Chinese reformers Hu Shi (胡適) and Kuo Pingwen (郭秉文) and American educators John Dewey and Paul Monroe, China Institute is the oldest bicultural, non-profit organization in America to focus exclusively on China.
CI business programs present panel discussions with Chinese and American business leaders and top China analysts to explore opportunities and challenges in U.S.-China business and key policy developments.
The Institute also produces a high-level annual business conference- the Executive Summit- convening top U.S. and China business leaders and thinkers to discuss the most important U.S.-China business developments.
- Help build China Institute’s stature and reputation as a hub of cutting edge thinking and insights on business in China
- Organize public programs (research topics, secure speakers) and build audience for the Center for Business programs
- Conceive and implement one-two public business programs per month (panel discussions, breakfast briefings, etc.)
- Conceive and implement (together with Director of Programs) annual Executive Summit (conceive topics, secure speakers, produce conference)
- Work with Director of Programs and Corporate Engagement Director on corporate sponsorships
- Serve as Ambassador with the business community for China Institute and its programs
- Conceive and implement one to two public business programs, online or in-person, per month
- Strategize and plan with Director of Programs to create calendar of robust programs (panel discussions and speakers) covering the most important business topics
- Identify potential speakers through researching and networking. Work closely with Director of Programs to invite speakers
- Coordinate with speakers and organize prep calls; help develop panel questions
- Prepare materials related to programs: draft marketing language for website, bios, photos, ideas for website designer; work with Director of Marketing and Director of Programs to finalize eblasts
- Strategize and plan with Director of Programs to create annual Executive Summit, from concept and theme to speaker outreach and schedule and marketing, plus spearhead implementation and management of Summit
- Social Media
- Work closely with Director of Programs and Director of Marketing to map out social media strategy to promote business programs and Executive Summit
- Help run bespoke VIP programs for Corporate Members, when needed
- Manage a business intern, when on staff
- Education: University degree in political science, journalism, Chinese studies, communications, social sciences
- Experience: 5 years of public programs management and/or communications work
- Network of professional relationships and contacts in the China business community
- Fluent English and Mandarin with strong writing skills, particularly in English
- Communication – strong communicator, with powerful persuasion skills and comfortable reaching out to people with requests for help
- Big thinker, with deep knowledge of China and U.S.-China policy trends
- Detail-oriented, able to manage many tasks and programs simultaneously and with precision
- Organized, able to manage multiple projects on multiple timelines
- Teamwork and collaboration – strong team player and willing to pitch in where needed; able to collaborate with internal and external project stakeholders from different cultures
- Action and achievement oriented – self-starter who can make things happen
- Adaptable – coping well under pressure and tough deadlines
Please send a cover letter and resume to Dinda Elliott, SVP of Programs and Director of The Center for Business: [email protected] No phone calls please.
China Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.