Associate Director of Events
China Institute in America is a non-profit organization whose mission is to advance a deeper understanding of China through programs in education, culture, art, and business. Our programs, school, and gallery exhibitions bring to life the depth, complexity and dynamism of China. Founded in 1926 by Chinese reformers Hu Shi and K.P. Wen, and educator John Dewey, China Institute is the leading non-profit organization in America to focus exclusively on China. It is a time of transformative growth of China Institute at its new Lower Manhattan location.
About the Role:
The Associate Director of Events reports to the SVP/Chief Development Officer (SVP/CDO) and is responsible for production, management and execution of fundraising and cultivation events to meet revenue goals. Events must be meaningful and impactful events that garner press and brand awareness, increase revenue, donor loyalty and acquire new supporters to China Institute (CI).
• Plan and execute three (3) annual fundraising events, as well as small and large scale business program events and dinners, membership and trustee events, gallery openings, young associate events, and donor cultivation and recognition events both on-site and off-site.
• Work closely with event Chairs and event Committees on all aspects of China Institute special events, including venue research, selection of and contract negotiations with vendors and entertainment planning. Manage events within expense budgets.
• Work closely with the marketing team to generate all event-related collateral and promotional material (print, web and social media) including invitations and event programs.
• Work closely with marketing team and outside agencies, as needed, to promote events on all media platforms and ensure media coverage.
• Create and maintain daily financial reports; manage events within expense budgets; manage all event-day logistics including volunteers and staff; serve as senior manager-on-duty on-site at CI events.
• Work with SVP/CDO, President and Trustees to strategize and implement cultivation events on- and off-site, including, attract funding prospects, and enhance the organization’s reputation among target constituencies.
• Supervise the development of special-event prospect lists, Raiser’s Edge reports, and list review with Co-chairs and committees.
• Assist SVP/CDO with development of annual department operating budget for special events.
• Bachelor degree required; master’s degree a plus
• 5+ years of development experience in the areas of event planning and management, event budget development and management, individual giving, and corporate sponsorships
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to juggle multiple, demanding tasks simultaneously and with accuracy in a busy environment
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills to work with a diverse range of constituents, including members of the Board of Trustees, members of China Institute, donors, Honorees, and high-level prospects and guests
• Ability to manage team of volunteers
• Ability to collaborate with other departments to create a positive China Institute-wide team effort for special events
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Raiser’s Edge or equivalent software, Excel, database spreadsheets and Internet research
China Institute offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including 403(b) and generous paid time-off.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to [email protected] with “Associate Director of Events” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
China Institute in America is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority/Female/Veteran/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.