Children and Youth Programs Mandarin Instructors
China Institute in America, a non-profit, non-partisan, educational, and bi-cultural organization based in NYC, is seeking experienced part-time Mandarin teachers for its Children and Youth program. Grouped by ages three and up, children learn a dynamic mix of Chinese language and culture through a whole language approach in active classroom environments. Classes are taught using simplified characters. Successful candidates should be native speakers of Chinese who have teaching experience using simplified characters and who have a very good command of spoken English. They should be vivacious in the classroom and eager to nurture children’s learning and growth. They must feel comfortable creating their own unit plans, lesson plans and finding materials to suit classroom needs, levels, and abilities. Teaching assignments may entail classroom teaching or private tutoring and may be onsite, offsite in other schools, or in students’ homes.
• Educational background in Early Childhood Education, Childhood Education, Teaching Chinese as a Second Language, Bilingual Education, Applied Linguistics, or related areas
• Native proficiency level in spoken and written Chinese
• Previous teaching experience of children in group settings in the U.S.
• A good command of using simplified Chinese characters
• Fluency in spoken English
Compensation Type: Competitive hourly wage based on experience
Please send cover letter and CV, including resident status, to:
Associate Director of Children & Youth Program
Email: [email protected]
100 Washington Street
New York, NY 10006
China Institute is an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls please. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.